International Full Size Jeep Association

International Full Size Jeep Association (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/index.php)
-   Build Threads (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   Another 70 wagoneer build (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=121305)

63J200atLSU 06-27-2017 11:34 PM

Holy moly, that's looking good, Al!

Achilles 06-28-2017 07:15 AM

If I find them I will let you know
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaiserjeeps
I will do that. Funny 10 years ago when I was looking for gaskets all I could find was no trim gaskets. I was bummed because I wanted the trim gasket for my X model. Now it seems it is the other way around. When I get a few hours online I will search. Typically I do that trying to wind down in the evenings to go to sleep. If there is one to be found I will find it. So I will look and surely post up if I am successful.

Kaiserjeeps 06-28-2017 10:31 AM

Thank you Achilles. I will do the same.

Thanks Greg. The clear plastic on the booth makes it look like it has poor gloss. Actually it is really nice with a fantastic shine. Today I plan on a (EDIT:Gray super fine scotch brite not red) scuff and a second coat. Then the dreaded super clean of the booth. That will take hours.
I am trying to get as much done before Saturday as possible. One of my best buds is showing up for a 6 day visit. I might have to put him to work. :D

Frank Ziebert 06-28-2017 11:25 AM

"I might have to put him to work. :D "

Good planning!

Kaiserjeeps 06-29-2017 01:51 PM

Thats what I figured.:D

Currently super cleaning the shop from one end to the other. Blowing off shelves with air, There is an amazing amount of dust there. Vacuuming tons of dirt, and finding mice poop on the roof of Sadie. Got a deer mouse this morning in the trap. Deer mice are the Hantavirus culprits. And to make me even more cautious, yesterday I read about the 4th case of it in WA state. 3 of them died. I don't plan on being the 5th case. Lots of fans blowing the air out through the shop and booth outside. And I am wearing a mask.
You get infected by breathing it or touching your face with contaminated hands. So no nose picking till after I am done. :)
I just picked up the Caswell zinc 3 gallon plating kit an hour ago. I am brainstorming the best arrangement in my new rolling table as I clean. I am jazzed about this. I also had the thicker neoprene delivered today. Frank and Greg, your thicker seals will be on the way very soon. Use the thicker ones on the skirts, Take your pick on the side grille support seals.
If I am lucky, I will get all the cleaning done today. There was a lot of dust in my work. It must be cleaner than clean before I will proceed.

Frank Ziebert 06-29-2017 04:07 PM

Ok when you get done with your shop/booth come do mine! :D

toddthewelder 07-01-2017 05:31 PM

My envy is almost as green as that beautiful fender

Kaiserjeeps 07-01-2017 07:34 PM

Yeah, I am excited to be applying green.:thumbsup: I have everything scuffed and ready for another coat. And I super cleaned the whole place. I also ended up making two 20x30 furnace filter stands that clamp on the booth walls. The air flow was healthy but coming under the plastic bringing dust with it. When I get the flow all figured out, I will be done painting.
Photobucket is seriously broken and won't even display right. I wanted to show pictures of the filter stands and the plating station I got to 80% completion today. It is turning out great. Ultra pure DI water filters under it all, and three tanks up top. I will post it up when PB gets fixed. My visitor is also here. Time to go play.:D

Kaiserjeeps 07-07-2017 01:15 PM

Well my bud just left an hour ago. That was the best 6 days I have had in awhile. Kayaking, quad riding, we had an earthquake, car shows, giant pizzas, got in a parts run for an 225 V-6 engine purchase, and ran into a mama bear and cub yesterday while riding quads. Fortunately she ran off with her cub. We had a bear mauling just up the road a ways on the 4th. Almost killed the lady. Then another incident with a man and dog getting chased. Yikes. It is their yard we are in. What an adrenalin spike! It happened really fast. We had bear spray and a 44 mag just in case.
I have been a bit busy to see what has been happening with photobucket. I see my pictures are still working. It looks like they have shot themselves in the foot leaving a lot of people and forums high and dry. I hope all the work is not affected on anyone's thread here on IFSJA.

I have a pretty nice plating stand getting built. I wanted something permanent and on casters. And I am really eager to keep spraying. I will have something up soon. Time to rock and roll.

Kaiserjeeps 07-08-2017 12:15 PM

Almost done. I wanted a permanent plating station years ago. I have a few things to pick up at the hardware store for the low voltage side of the power. I am putting the two brass bars on the back wall for clipping the big alligator clips to. Positive and negative. The zinc anode is positive, the part in the plating bath is negative. I will be able to plate hardware and any part that fits in the tank while paint dries between sprays now. Soon I will be assembling sadie and making vroom vroom sounds. :D

The DI filter set up. This was picked up for the Cosmichrome chrome platingthat is still waiting to be used. It requires zero total dissolved solids rinse water. The valve and port at the end is for a hose to fill the cosmichrome rinse tank. There is a Tee to supply the sink sprayer. So now the filter station has two uses.

The red things are heaters. The left tank is a degreasing tank to be at 190 degrees. The rinse sink in the middle, then on the right is the process tank to be at 110 degrees. I want to be exact and have success with this. No batteries and no crumby way of heating that is inconsistent.

I will post the plated parts when I get them done. Hopefully this will be worth all the time spent.

Kaiserjeeps 07-10-2017 08:27 PM

Well photobucket seems to be working for me, so I guess I will keep using it till I get grounded....

I am just about done with the plating set up. I still need a couple minor things like a brass bolt for the ground bar. But for the most part it is ready for use. I have a pile of bolts to glass bead and will have something done shortly.
I have a choice of 5 rows of bolts. Most likely just 4 though. I will see how they plate.

I spoke with cerakote this morning. My samples got lost for the silver horn button and similar items. They are back on the way with some MC 160 Matte clear for the zinc parts. Can't wait!

Got more green on today. The second coat and these parts are ready for assembly.

The fenders too.

Time to start in on the body again. I need to do the roof and interior first.

So this is for Greg and anyone else who may wondered how much of the fender skirt seal should stick out. I used heavy upholstery needles to simulate staples to line it up again. This will help me install my new seals too.
Averaging 1/4 inch sometimes it was just shy of 1/2. But this is what it should look like.

Sometimes less.

The old seals and the edge marked with a silver pen.

Hope this helps get the new seals in the right spot. They are soft and will be somewhat forgiving.

More soon.

Frank Ziebert 07-11-2017 08:58 AM

Almost to the point of squirting paint and after seeing your color I can't wait. Just need to get the old bod to agree with my mind that it's time to get building again. Got your seals. Thank you a LOT.

Kaiserjeeps 07-11-2017 10:59 AM

No sweat. Get well Frank. We have been thinking about you over here.

I was going to pre punch the staple holes after lining it up and marking them. Tedious but hopefully that will make it easier to get them in place.

Kaiserjeeps 07-11-2017 09:11 PM

Busy day. Had to get out the welder. I forgot to weld on the passenger side heat shield under the floor pan. It is behind the exhaust manifold. I had to mess up some paint but using air to cool it after each little weld dab I kept the paint damage to a minimum. Talk about toxic smoke. I had to ventilate the shop before continuing with everything else.

The heat shield getting put back on.

While I was at it I repaired the exhaust manifold heat shield. It was stress cracked. Not any more. Ready for the hi temp paint now.

Had to go pick up all new body bolts of the correct length. And finally replaced all the biscuits with aluminum ones. The rubber ones had started to collapse and were loose already. I also put a little paint inside the channels as I saw some corrosion around the holes under the floorpan. All the insides were painted when the floors were replaced. But all the movement made the paint come off under the washers. I very carefully centered the body on the frame and cinched it down tight. I was amazed how light the body was. All this needed to be done before any more body work or paint.

Then I went after the roof flaws. To much paint and too cool outside temps. This was all done last fall when it was getting cold out. I had a few runs and sags. Plus I was getting my painting skills up. I am a much better painter now after watching a lot of educational stuff. On youtube a good guy to check out is under the username as "the gunman" He is a good instructor.

All gone. Now there is a way to do this without over sanding the surrounding area around the run. Using a light spot putty, cover the paint on each side of the run with putty. It will sand down along with the run and next thing you know you have a flat repair without getting into primer. While aware of this repair method, I elected not to use it. I just went real slow with a firm block and 320 grit being very careful to sand only the high spot, then blend the area next to it. I went from 320 grit to 600 grit to smooth it out. Even 400 grit will show sanding scratches later. 600 is when the sanding starts to vanish under a fresh spray.

Each flawed area. That was a lot of work fixing them.

Tomorrow I take Sadie outside for a roof scuff. Also sanding out the whole interior. I will have to spray some primer here and there inside, but it won't matter since it all gets sanded down some before paint. This way I can keep most of the sanding dust out of the shop for spraying green. I will blow it out with compressed air. Clean is good. I also need to fix a body line on the passenger side rear quarter. Hopefully I will be able to spray it all very soon.
And I hope photobucket does not hose this thread. This is how I show the owner what is happening with the work.

Onward...

SJTD 07-11-2017 11:57 PM

Some guys think urethane is too stiff! Why not urethane?

Frank Ziebert 07-12-2017 09:10 AM

Lookin good Al.

Kaiserjeeps 07-12-2017 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJTD
Some guys think urethane is too stiff! Why not urethane?

It is Urethane. It is a tough paint. But I have been able to work with it. The one big drawback is the toxic nature of the isocyanates. You can't filter them out with any type of organic cartridge respirator and a fresh air system must be used. I didn't know that when I purchased it. I had to buy a fresh air system to proceed. I purchased a Breathe Cool unit. Frank purchased a Hobby air unit. Both essentially the same and will do the job. I did just pick up a third hose section. I was always 3 feet shy of where I need to be.

And thanks Frank. I am well on the way to being done with all this painting madness. Back to it....

Frank Ziebert 07-12-2017 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaiserjeeps
It is Urethane. It is a tough paint. But I have been able to work with it. The one big drawback is the toxic nature of the isocyanates. You can't filter them out with any type of organic cartridge respirator and a fresh air system must be used. I didn't know that when I purchased it. I had to buy a fresh air system to proceed. I purchased a Breathe Cool unit. Frank purchased a Hobby air unit. Both essentially the same and will do the job. I did just pick up a third hose section. I was always 3 feet shy of where I need to be.

And thanks Frank. I am well on the way to being done with all this painting madness. Back to it....

Al, please define "tough paint." Anything other than the tip that is different from primer or color?

7 hours in the ER and no definitive answer. :banghead: :banghead:

Got work to do, not sit around in an opioid fog.

Can you get more pictures of the seals. The ones you posted are a bit too dark for these old eyes to make out fine detail.

Are you ever going to get done with that Wagy and start on your own stuff.:D :D :D

That's a joke man-- don't hit me

Kaiserjeeps 07-12-2017 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Ziebert
Al, please define "tough paint." Anything other than the tip that is different from primer or color?

7 hours in the ER and no definitive answer. :banghead: :banghead:

Got work to do, not sit around in an opioid fog.

Can you get more pictures of the seals. The ones you posted are a bit too dark for these old eyes to make out fine detail.

Are you ever going to get done with that Wagy and start on your own stuff.:D :D :D

That's a joke man-- don't hit me

No joke. Three people this week said "are you still working on that thing, I thought you would be done by now. Geez if they only knew. :o

Maybe I should ask SJTD to define stiff paint. I assume he meant stout or tough. Compared to something like acrylic enamel, Urethane will survive a door ding or rock chip much better than enamel. That's what I meant.

As for the seals, if you keep the reveal to 1/4 to 3/8ths you should be fine. I don't know if I can improve on the pictures. They are dark parts. You are not going blind with that mystery illness are you>?:D

And stay away from ER's. Those folks are questionable...:D I hope you find some answers soon. You don't sound well. We are starting to worry about you over here. Get well mkay?

Kaiserjeeps 07-12-2017 09:55 PM

Wax on, wax off. My arms are going to fall off. I got Sadie moved outside where I could make clouds of dust and blow it away with the wind. Actually I wet sanded the roof. I tried 600 grit with a air sander. It worked better to hand sand it with a soft block. Dang me it was hot out. I still need to wipe it down to clean it. But it is very smooth.

And the interior was right trashed. It was dirty and had a bunch of dried overspray everywhere. A real mess. I power sanded what I could and sanded the entire interior by hand afterwards. The sander did not reach a lot of it.

Almost done. I am so sick of sanding. Block sanding the outside is going to be a hoot.:) Look at all the dirt and junk. That bed panel was a patch panel for a chevy truck. It worked pretty well.

I eventually was able to respray the entire interior. Much better now.

Now to sand it all again. Green paint coming right up!:thumbsup: