International Full Size Jeep Association

International Full Size Jeep Association (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/index.php)
-   Build Threads (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   1970 Custom Special (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=187840)

melford1972 10-19-2019 01:22 PM

1970 Custom Special
 
This week I picked up a 1414X Wagoneer with a blown Buick motor in it. Wanted to start a build thread for my own reference and to be able to ask questions to those of you that have been through this already. This is going to be my first restoration/engine swap project, so I'll likely have lots of questions along the way as I figure out what I'm doing.

To give readers an idea of where I'm starting, here are a few pics:
[IMG]59270541057__ADE34AA0-E369-4925-9746-75DB5B205462
by Geoff Ledford, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]59270542583__3CD3B6C1-D754-410E-928C-5328460453AA
by Geoff Ledford, on Flickr[/IMG]

59270546832__42CC9252-8609-43DA-8892-DF930206EE9B
by Geoff Ledford, on Flickr

For anyone wondering, the guy I bought this from had just gotten married, so that's why all the beverages in the last photo.

So the idea is to keep it looking as original as possible (especially the interior), but transplant a LM7/4L60E in in place of the blown Dauntless 350. Planning to keep the Dana 20 t-case. It's a little rusted in spots (didn't get to peek under the carpet, so I'm not sure how the floors are) and (according to the PO) the motor is toast, but it's all there. Which means it's perfect for what I want to do to it.

First item of business will be to yank the engine and address the body work. (Rear quarters and engine bay) It came with replacement rear quarter panels in the back that the PO never got around to putting in. Then I'll go through all of the wiring and try to exorcise the gremlins that have plagued my 72 Wag. When I'm done I want to have a reliable daily driver that gets okay mileage and that I'll be proud of.

For those that have been through this, I'd like to use a baffled tank with an in-tank pump. (Was running a poly tank with a RobbMc surge tank on my TBI 360 in my 72 Wag — and that system always seemed like a bandaid workaround to me instead of a seamless system.) I've heard a lot about the Blazer tank conversion on here and the other site. Can anyone direct me to pics of that swap? Wanna get a better idea of what it's gonna take.

I've never done anything quite like this, so I'm feeling a bit over my head — but in my experience pushing boundaries usually makes you better. And as my dad always said, "Everyone's a virgin sometime." :D

FleetFox 10-20-2019 11:36 PM

Love that interior, especially the console. Great project.

Starting suggestion. box of ziplocks and a sharpie.. Have fun!

Fleet Fox

chubbinius 10-22-2019 09:39 AM

Geoff, so stoked that you were able to get that one! Plus, now I have a guide to see what mine should actually look like. Very excited for you and to see how your restoration/update go. Congrats, man!

mud89 10-23-2019 07:57 AM

Great catch :thumbsup:
By the way i just bought a custom special, an early one, serial number 300,165


Your truck is an interesting example, she doesn't have the usual "avocado mist" paint like most 69-70, i guess that it's a late 70 1414X.Do you have a sticker on the driver door jamb with the production date ?


Would you mind sharing the paint code if you have it or the serial number ?

melford1972 10-23-2019 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chubbinius
Geoff, so stoked that you were able to get that one! Plus, now I have a guide to see what mine should actually look like. Very excited for you and to see how your restoration/update go. Congrats, man!


Thanks! How's the console you got working out? Hope you'll let me take pics and measurements of the center armrest. That's the only piece that's missing on mine.

melford1972 10-23-2019 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mud89
Great catch :thumbsup:
By the way i just bought a custom special, an early one, serial number 300,165

Your truck is an interesting example, she doesn't have the usual "avocado mist" paint like most 69-70, i guess that it's a late 70 1414X.Do you have a sticker on the driver door jamb with the production date ?

Would you mind sharing the paint code if you have it or the serial number ?


Mud, yours sounds like a very early specimen indeed. Do you have pics posted of it yet? I looked in your posts, but didn't see anything.

About my truck:
Production October 1969.
Serial number 302,321

And it looks like the Prairie Gold color (413) was original according to the paint and trim tag and a Kaiser color chart I found. Check it out.

[IMG]IMG_3346
by Geoff Ledford, on Flickr[/IMG]

Kaiserjeeps 10-23-2019 10:54 PM

Great find. Looking forward to the swap and outcome. I have a 69 X model in of course avocado mist ser 301289. I should probably get started on it soon.
Nice to see another X.

mud89 10-24-2019 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melford1972
Mud, yours sounds like a very early specimen indeed. Do you have pics posted of it yet? I looked in your posts, but didn't see anything.

About my truck:
Production October 1969.
Serial number 302,321

And it looks like the Prairie Gold color (413) was original according to the paint and trim tag and a Kaiser color chart I found. Check it out.

[IMG]IMG_3346
by Geoff Ledford, on Flickr[/IMG]



Thank you melford for sharing the numbers
I have not posted pics for several years because i am tired od photobucket
I'll try to share some photos from Flickr but i was unsuccessfull so far


Sure it's a "prairie gold" code, first time i see an early 70 with the prairie gold paint, interesting

Do you have a special order plate under the VIN plate ?


I know that there was a Jeep bulletin (70-1 #13) between september 2 1969 and january 16 1970 concerning the 1414X. Unfortunately i don't have this one..Maybe some new colors were introduced for the 1414X with this bulletin














chubbinius 10-24-2019 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melford1972
Thanks! How's the console you got working out? Hope you'll let me take pics and measurements of the center armrest. That's the only piece that's missing on mine.


Certainly! I am getting ready to refurbish it (paint it, new carpet for sides, new woodgrain vinyl) so we can definitely get you some photos and measurements of the armrest and parts.

mud89 10-24-2019 10:18 AM

Do you see this picture of my 1414X ?
Looks nice but there are some rot in the rear quarters and i was told that the distributor was dead




chubbinius 10-24-2019 10:35 AM

Wow, Mud, looks great! If there's rot, it's well hidden. That's a nice deep red/maroon too!

mud89 10-24-2019 03:12 PM

Missing the part between the console and armrest too

Kaiserjeeps 10-24-2019 06:51 PM

Beautiful wagoneer mud89. So no stainless trim and woodgrain down the sides? I thought all X models had that. Or was it a choice when ordering?

melford1972 10-24-2019 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mud89
Do you see this picture of my 1414X ?
Looks nice but there are some rot in the rear quarters and i was told that the distributor was dead


Mud89, that thing is gorgeous. Great find. A new distributor is an easy fix. And if those rear quarters are "rusted" I don't even want to think how you'd describe the ones that are on mine... :D

Jetscuh 10-25-2019 12:37 AM

Ah, good, another early model. The only builds I am interested in. ;)

Can't wait to follow along.

I have something that resembles a '68 (1414C though). Mine can appear deceptively clean from the outside...or when there's an interior in it (carpet, seats, dash, etc.) but it's rotten. When a vehicle is this old, you can find all sorts of hidden gems aside from rot, such as "creations" made by the previous owners. So it can be an adventure!

mud89 10-25-2019 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaiserjeeps
Beautiful wagoneer mud89. So no stainless trim and woodgrain down the sides? I thought all X models had that. Or was it a choice when ordering?


Actually the woodgrain on the body sides was introduced for the X models at the beginning of 1969 when they replaced the Supers. The earlier 68 X models were simply custom wagoneers with a Super interior (except some details like the chrome strips in the cargo area or for the headliner). Both the early and late 1414X had the V8 and the TH400.
By the way Kaiserjeeps i would like to have your impressive ability in restoration ;-)

mud89 10-25-2019 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melford1972
Mud89, that thing is gorgeous. Great find. A new distributor is an easy fix. And if those rear quarters are "rusted" I don't even want to think how you'd describe the ones that are on mine... :D


Thanks Melford, concerning the distributor , i hope that there is not a mess with the camshaft gear, actually the rig is not at home, she will be on a boat soon

rang-a-stang 11-05-2019 03:09 PM

Sweet ride!!!

If I were to do this again, I would buy a totaled RAM 1500 4WD, shorten the chassis and do an entire chassis swap. Since you mentioned mostly GM stuff, maybe get a Tahoe or Suburban and do a chassis swap. It would cost alot less in the long run.

melford1972 11-07-2019 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rang-a-stang
Sweet ride!!!

If I were to do this again, I would buy a totaled RAM 1500 4WD, shorten the chassis and do an entire chassis swap. Since you mentioned mostly GM stuff, maybe get a Tahoe or Suburban and do a chassis swap. It would cost alot less in the long run.


Interesting... hadn’t even really considered going this route. I’m not married to GM. Was just going to do the LS because there’s so much support for it. But I’ve always been a Mopar guy. Will look into this more.

cu4whln 11-19-2019 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rang-a-stang
Sweet ride!!!

If I were to do this again, I would buy a totaled RAM 1500 4WD, shorten the chassis and do an entire chassis swap. Since you mentioned mostly GM stuff, maybe get a Tahoe or Suburban and do a chassis swap. It would cost alot less in the long run.



Soo .. I am thinking of this exact route. you have a build thread somewhere? My Chero is an original 401 rig .. all original.. BUT - I am thinking of selling the engine/trans/chassis off and doing this. Thoughts ?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.