International Full Size Jeep Association

International Full Size Jeep Association (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/index.php)
-   Build Threads (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   Another 70 wagoneer build (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=121305)

SlowGear 06-14-2017 06:40 PM

Might give some thought to the inexpensive zinc plating kit sold by Eastwood.
It has worked well for me to re-plate small hardware. Comes with everything you need to get started for under $75.
If your hardware is already prepped you'll be plating within 30 minutes after the package arrives.

Kaiserjeeps 06-14-2017 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowGear
Might give some thought to the inexpensive zinc plating kit sold by Eastwood.
It has worked well for me to re-plate small hardware. Comes with everything you need to get started for under $75.
If your hardware is already prepped you'll be plating within 30 minutes after the package arrives.

I just bought it with two more cans of Diamond clear satin. For gloss I will still use cerakote MC160 high gloss clear. That is better than anything on the market for high strength UV proof gloss clear. I did find some really good home made info for zinc plating. I don't have the time to mess with rounding everything up, then experimenting. So I went for Eastwoods kit. Caswells kit was 250ish.
I would like to pick up a variable power supply instead of batteries. They are cheap. That might happen later since the batteries should work fine for now. Thanks for the nudge. I did it...:thumbsup:

A moose and her calf yesterday. An absolutely huge big arse black bear today. Buck deer in the yard. I love this place. :)

Kaiserjeeps 06-16-2017 08:53 PM

Well Frank and Faye were here for a quick visit. What a great time although too short. It would have been nice to have a fire, a beverage of choice and tell tall stories till late. Being at the end of their long vacation, getting home was in their sights. I don't blame them. They should be home by now unwinding. It seemed that there was a lot to talk about that didn't happen. Next time for sure.

So the day off was great. I was on a pretty good roll digging up parts and getting them cleaned up. Gotta love that bead blasting cabinet. Makes quick work of krud.

I have several parts hanging waiting for a prime. This morning was errands and a trip to the county for a permit for a carport. I did stop and pick up a sheet of 3/4 plywood for a zinc plating station table top. And as mentioned earlier I bought Eastwoods zinc plating kit. I will wait for it to get here to cut out the table top for process and rinse tanks. I am excited about that as I will be able to make Sadies bolts and small parts look new again. Along with the 3/4 plywood I picked up a sheet of 1/8 wafer board. I needed or wanted to make permanent patterns for the fender seals, the grille support seals, and the firewall pad and rubber seal on the bottom of the pad. Got it done this afternoon. :thumbsup:

And using the Minwax wood hardener I keep recommending to everyone for door panels and headliner boards, I sealed them up and added a bunch of strength. They should last a while now. And they are now waterproof. That is the free table I obtained from the local auto parts store that I will be using to plate zinc. It needs casters and a new top. But for now it is a great work surface.

I am starting to sound like a salesman. :D

The rest of them.

Now all I have to do is trace them out. I have a set going to Greg and Frank. They are my prototype guinea pigs. I expect thorough feedback.;)
I will be selling these later along with the shift indicators. I will post in the proper forum section when I am ready. The firewall pads take a lot longer to make. The first one turned out pretty nice. I hope to produce those too. But I need a small slip roll to do it correctly. Maybe some day soon.
A good afternoon of making stuff. :thumbsup:

Onward.

Frank Ziebert 06-18-2017 08:46 AM

Thanks Al and Liz for hosting us. We agree the visit was way too short . I felt like a kid in a candy shop touring your work area and poking into the vehicles.
Definately have to get back up there soon and drag Greg along:p

Your frame horns are in the parts washer! Probably Tuesday before I can get packaged and shipped.

63J200atLSU 06-18-2017 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Ziebert
Thanks Al and Liz for hosting us. We agree the visit was way too short . I felt like a kid in a candy shop touring your work area and poking into the vehicles.
Definately have to get back up there soon and drag Greg along:p

Your frame horns are in the parts washer! Probably Tuesday before I can get packaged and shipped.

Consider my arm twisted! It's just gotta be in the non-sub-zero temp time of the year... I've got those southern bones! None of you would be envious of what it's like to weld wen it's 100 degrees and 100% humidity though. I drink about a gallon of water a day when it's like that and I still shed about 5lbs of water weights. It's a situation...

Here's a thought: What if we did a build traditional gumbo style, that is, we pick up necessary "ingredients," from different houses then all knock out the build over the course of a week. That could be epic. It would take some serious organization, but I have no doubt that using a divide and conquer method, we could get it done!

Kaiserjeeps 06-19-2017 11:29 AM

Well that would be a hoot. I'd have to sleep outside if I ate any of the gumbo though.:eek: It is too bad we all live so far apart.
Frank I think you officially kicked off our summer visitor arrivals. I have friends calling stating they are coming and staying for a week!. I miss my friends back home but the first thought was.... How am I going to get Sadie done? I spent the entire day yesterday addressing an alarming septic system. Cleaning filters spraying junk everywhere. It is just plain nasty. At least it is done till next year. I am the only one with a pumped sand mound system up here. It's complicated and needs power to operate. It's goofy.
Frank, no hurry on the frame horns. But I appreciate it. I will try to get seals cut out for you both soon. And the shift indicator. A great trade thank you. :thumbsup:

I am going to go spray primer on small parts. My primer gun is fine but my good paint gun is acting up. I am afraid I might need a new one. I will try another cleaning, but I want the avocado mist to be as perfect as I can get it.
Onward....

SJTD 06-19-2017 02:23 PM

Maybe if you casually mention the septic system problems folks might want to stay elsewhere.

Something like "It's not so bad except when the sun comes up"

Kaiserjeeps 06-19-2017 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJTD
Maybe if you casually mention the septic system problems folks might want to stay elsewhere.

Something like "It's not so bad except when the sun comes up"

Breathe through your mouth before noon!:D :D :D Actually it is required yearly maintenance. We skipped it last August and boy you could tell. I wear long sleeves, safety glasses, a mask and promptly disrobe in front of the washer when we are done. In the shower and try to wash my mind of the images. :eek:

We love guests though. I would like to build a small cabin on the center of our property for them. Add to the rustic experience. Someday after Sadie is done and gone. :thumbsup:

Kaiserjeeps 06-19-2017 07:22 PM

Got a lot done today. I have started a pile of parts I will zinc plate. I sorted through lots of boxes and found yet more items to prime and paint. I am on the down hill stretch.:thumbsup: I also found a few different items to drop in the 303 protectant bucket to try and soften them up some before getting installed. And it took a long time to rebuild the tailgate strap button head screws. They get beat up if they are stuck in the door frame. Sometimes I have to use a gentle squeeze with vise grips to turn them out. The screw slots are hard to fix. The edge can be ever so lightly machined back on the lathe. That is exactly what I did with several. I fixed them right up and have a set for Sadie and my 69. Plating them before paint will keep them from rusting later. Not like they will ever be removed again.

Primed a pile O stuff. I am running out of primer and will need to order a quart. Same with the black.

The hood filler.

And I spent quite a bit of time deburring the trans adapter. It was really rough cast. Like velcro. It will get black paint also.

After spraying everything, I traced out several sets of fender and grill support seals. I have yet to cut them. I will try a box knife around the pattern board. It that does not work cleanly I will cut them with my kung fu shears.

And I found a NOS gas pedal. :thumbsup: Sadie is going to be a new car.

I have a little sanding to do, then hopefully some green paint can go on soon.
I need to try and get a lot done before my next guest shows up. My old wheeling buddy from Orygun.:D

More soon...

SJTD 06-19-2017 09:22 PM

Speaking of that 303, have you been soaking any rubber parts? I remember you doing some vinyl.

I ask because I'd like to use the windshield gasket that doesn't take the SS trim but it can't be found new. Might go for an old one if it can be soaked back to life.

How'll the 303 affect the sealant bond between the gasket and frame or glass?

Kaiserjeeps 06-20-2017 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJTD
Speaking of that 303, have you been soaking any rubber parts? I remember you doing some vinyl.

I ask because I'd like to use the windshield gasket that doesn't take the SS trim but it can't be found new. Might go for an old one if it can be soaked back to life.

How'll the 303 affect the sealant bond between the gasket and frame or glass?

Are you sure about the lack of new gaskets? After nearly a 30 run on the same glass and gasket, I would hope it is still available. If it is not I had better
save the ones I have. Especially the ones that hold the SS trim. Yes I am soaking a few differfent parts. I have quite a few seat belt pockets soaking for a couple months now. They are responding slow as the plastic is hard and dense. Just yesterday I dropped in one tail gate upper seal and about 10 anti rattle sleeves for the tailgate arms. Hopefully it will add some life to them. The seals I would like to reproduce by using Flexane. A pourable moldable rubber. I need to build mold bucks and I don't plan on doing any of this until Sadie is done and gone. The windshield gaskets I am sure would respond well after a 6 month soak. But I would put money down the 303 in the rubber would keep sealant from bonding well. Sure a solvent wipe before gluing would help, but I bet it would release soon after. Just my thoughts and assumptions here. The door panels have become very pliable and reusable.
Soaking them for the several months has paid off. I will glue them on to new sealed boards in a month or three when the car is ready for them.
Hopefully Toddthewelder will have patterns to share from a fusion 360 file. I will make them either or....

SJTD 06-20-2017 11:20 AM

You can get the gasket that takes the trim. I haven't found one that doesn't.

Rock Auto used to list it but another feller here checked into it and it was the same as the later gasket but with a different P/N.

Kaiserjeeps 06-21-2017 10:28 AM

Where can I find a gasket that accepts trim? I need one for my 69 X model.
I thought it was the other way around on availability.

I will look around for a non trim gasket and if I find one, I will let you know. I am having a very hard time finding someone who will install Sadies front glass later. Companies up here suck so dang badly. All of them.
I try to do my own work. But windshields and I don't get along. So far anyway...

I had a full day yesterday working on both Subarus and our plow truck. I found a big broken piece of metal in the plow truck trans pan. And lots of metal flake. It functions fine but I am hoping it won't let go in the middle of a blizzard when it is 10 below. I have a spare truck but no real time to do any swapping right now. Today is the longest day and winter is now coming. :D

SJTD 06-21-2017 02:28 PM

BJ's, Team Grand Wagoneer. Rock Auto's is made by Fairchild

Whooz got the no trim version?

Kaiserjeeps 06-21-2017 09:22 PM

I don't know right off. I will definitely post it if I find one. I am confident I will find one.

What a day. Sweated my butt off cutting seals out. Decided I don't like the thickness and that they need to be double the thickness. The neoprene is much more flexible than the OEM rubber. The rubber I ordered was for the firewall pad lower flap. I should have ordered 1/8 for these seals. It is on the way. Oh well.... I have lots of 1/16 for fire wall pads later...

Saned everything I primed. Had to do a small bit of putty work to true things up. I have to spray primer one more time and that should level everything better. Sealed the fender front gaps down low by the bumper area with urethane seam sealer. And since we are talking windshields I filled each corner of the windshield frame where there is a section of sheet metal only one layer thick. Only about an inch tall on both sides, filling it level will help the glass seal not leak by giving it a consistent thick surface to mount to. I will post a picture later.
Eastwoods zinc plating system showed up. It is too small for what I want.
I want to plate a moderate quantity not three bolts at a time. I am exaggerating but not by much. I will figure something else out. Or expand on their electrolyte solution. I have some ideas.
I hope tomorrow is more productive feeling.

Kaiserjeeps 06-22-2017 07:13 PM

Found lots of windshield gaskets on Ebay. Some say accepts trim and several don't mention it. Might be worth a question to the seller. They were from different manufacturers. Sadie will need a no trim gasket also.

Primed early and painted also. More parts made black.

The transmission cover. Did the hood supports battery tray and bracket and a bunch of others. Looks like all I have left is the heater and E-brake.

Speaking of windshields. I filled and built up this area in each corner of the frame. Only one layer of sheet metal while all the rest is two. Hopefully this will reduce the chances of a leak here. I will paint it green very soon.

Ready for green paint.

More in a couple days.

Achilles 06-22-2017 11:42 PM

If you find a source for a no trim windshield gasket can you let menknow. I need one also.

Kaiserjeeps 06-23-2017 05:09 AM

I will do that. Funny 10 years ago when I was looking for gaskets all I could find was no trim gaskets. I was bummed because I wanted the trim gasket for my X model. Now it seems it is the other way around. When I get a few hours online I will search. Typically I do that trying to wind down in the evenings to go to sleep. If there is one to be found I will find it. So I will look and surely post up if I am successful.

Frank Ziebert 06-27-2017 01:54 PM

Glad to see you made it back ok. How was Juneau?

Your frame horns have been sand blasted and I am going to shoot a coat of self etching primer on them. Should get them to UPS tomorrow.

I figure in a couple of days I will have caught up with stuff enough to get back to Jeep building. I too am feeling withdrawl!:D

Kaiserjeeps 06-27-2017 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Ziebert
Glad to see you made it back ok. How was Juneau?

Your frame horns have been sand blasted and I am going to shoot a coat of self etching primer on them. Should get them to UPS tomorrow.

I figure in a couple of days I will have caught up with stuff enough to get back to Jeep building. I too am feeling withdrawl!:D

Juneau was very nice. We had Liz's moms funeral on Saturday and she is now laid to rest in a very beautiful spot. Liz's family is just a joy to be around. No fighting or even a cross word ever. They are kind to each other and a very rare functional family unit indeed. And they are a large crowd. The visiting ran late every night and the food was abundant. I am still stuffed. Grateful too, to be part of it all. It was still light out at 11:30 PM and the sun rose at 3:30 AM. Crazy weird.

You did not have to go to all the trouble on the frame horns Frank. And no hurry either.... I do really appreciate it a lot though. I will look forward to them.

I returned home last night. Dead dog tired. I got a good nights sleep and hit the shop this morning after getting right caffeinated. I was able to turn a few things green. I do need to clean the floor. But the first coat is on. I will red scotch brite it tomorrow and do another before staging them for assembly.
I was not moving to fast.

It's getting there.:thumbsup: